Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Half Marathon- Here I Come!

I made a decision on a bit of a whim yesterday to run a half marathon in May. I have wanted to run a marathon every since I saw my friend Matt cross the finish line in Chicago 5 years ago. A few years later I attended the NYC marathon and once again got excited about it. Last year I even got a book about how to train, but talked myself out of it once again because I had to finish my masters thesis. I also couldn't help but get hung up on one thing- I'm not a runner.
Small detail, right?
However, lately I have been able to find the kind of release from running that I'm unable to find in other aspects of my life. I had the ever so sought after Oprah "a ha!" moment last Sunday. After a frustrating, stressful and tiring day, I dragged myself to the gym. I really didn't want to go, but forced myself. I also really didn't want to run. I wanted to get on the elliptical and have an easy work out, but I decided that I needed that feeling of accomplishment I get after running a 5K on the treadmill. I did it, and faster than I ever have before! Afterwards I no longer felt stressed, I feel proud of myself.
So yesterday during some downtime at work I checked out the website for the marathon in my hometown. It is scheduled for May 9th, which seems like a doable timeframe to train for a half marathon. I'd still love to do a full someday, but baby steps people, baby steps.
I also am thinking of adding in a fundraising component to my training. The American Cancer society holds a special place in my heart and the marathon I'm looking at allows you to register and get people to sponsor you for that cause, along with several others.
If I register to do that I feel like it'll help me with the extra motivation I may need on the days I don't feel motivated enough on my own. Beyond that, running is giving me a release from a lot of stress in my life that is created through my challenges with cancer related issues, so this might be my small way to kick cancer in the stomach.
I ran another 5K yesterday after this decision and ran it faster than I have before which basically translates for me as more running, less walking. Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment