Last year, when I thought about training to run a half marathon I bought a book on the suggestion of a friend who had just trained called The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women. It is a pretty funny and practical approach to how to train and what to expect. It is also written by the point of view of a woman who was a self professed couch potato and just decided to run a marathon. I started reading it a year ago and got to page 30- probably an indication that I wasn't ready to make the commitment. I blame having to also write a graduate thesis at the time.
At any rate, I picked it up again this week and started plugging through. While inspiring in some ways, it kinda freaked me out in others. I am not particularly looking forward to some of the things she mentions having to expect- VERY sore muscles, popping Advil often, completely giving up your Saturday to run crazy lengths. However, I'm still convinced this is a good idea.
I've been looking at lots of training schedules and haven't decided which one to stick with yet. The book offers one where you run four days a week, cross train a fifth. I'm a little concerned about being able to actually get to the gym five days a week, but I'm going to do my best. I'm also still looking for other training schedule options. For now, I'm trying to run every other day and start trying to cross train a bit to get stronger. I feel like the key at this point is to get into better shape and raise my endurance level.
Last night I ran 3.5 miles in about 45 minutes. I pushed myself to run more of it, but am still walking a little too. I'm proud of my progress so far though because I feel like the running intervals are longer than last week, and progress is the thing I'm most focused on at this point.
I'm taking tonight off (it's Friday!) but am thinking of running tomorrow and trying to cross train a bit on Sunday. I hope the intense cold doesn't distract me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment