Monday, February 23, 2009

More ups and Downs


So it has been awhile since I last blogged.
The last few weeks of my life have been a little hectic. My amazing father passed away on Jan 24th at 4:15 pm. I was lucky to be with him and with the rest of my family. But needless to say, running or blogging about running has been a little far from my mind since then.
My first instinct about this half marathon business after his passing was that it wouldn't happen. How could I possibly focus on something like this after my father was gone? Besides, the money I was hoping to raise for cancer research, largely because my father was battling cancer, wouldn't help anymore.
As I have made my way through the last few weeks, I have come to several conclusions.
1. Raising money for cancer research will still help a lot of people. Furthermore, my father battled cancer for 11 years before he lost his battle thanks to amazing doctors who were keeping their nose to the ground about what was up and coming.
2. As my friend Lauren said to me, "you still need a stress reliever", which is what I looked to running for in the first place.
3. My Dad would be really proud of me if I could accomplish this. I had a vision of him being at the finish line cheering me on on May 9th and thinking he wouldn't be there derailed me for a little bit. But I know he still will be there. In fact, he'll probably be pushing me along the whole time.
So, I have decided to do it. In the last two weeks that I have been back in NYC, back to my "normal" life and I have already had some ups and downs with training. The first run I had was phenomenal. I seemed to find a way to push through like I never have been able to before. I think it is thanks to two things- my new running shoes and my Dad pushing me along. Since then the runs have been hit or miss.
Trying to train while grieving is difficult. Sometimes I lose my appetite, which makes running feel like a pretty major uphill battle. It's hard to be charged up with no fuel. Pretty much all of the time I feel tired. This is something that is apparently really normal with grieving but again, makes being motivated to run much more difficult. But I'm doing my best.
I KNOW my Dad would be proud of me. He was a runner himself years ago and I remember meeting him after his morning run on the driveway of our house. He also was my gym buddy quite a bit in high school. I learned a lot about being active from him. I think it would probably not please him if I used his death as an excuse not to accomplish a goal.
That being said, I'm going to try to be more diligent about training and keeping up with blogging about it.
Let's start it out with an accomplishment- Yesterday I ran my quickest 3 mile run at 39 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment