Monday, March 30, 2009

Cruising Down Training Street

Lots of updates!
I was out of blogging commission last week as I was cruising on the Norwegian Gem with my Mom through the Bahamas. It was fantastic to have a break and regroup a bit.
Here's a quick rundown of my progress recently-
Week Five: I had mentioned in my last post that my Mom would be in town for part of the week, so I was unsure of how successful my training would be. Well, I was right and wrong. I trained 3 days and had success each day. I ran 4 miles, 2 miles and then finished the week with the long 6 mile run. Obviously, I didn't get in as many training days as I should, but I worked out when I could and tried to make the best of it. Also, I think I can count dancing at the West Side Story opening as a half training day, right?
Week Six: I was optimistic about week six because I was on the cruise with my Mom and thought I would have all the time and energy in the world to get back on track. Well, the truth turned out to be less positive. I did train five days, but probably not as intensely as I should be at this point. I took a yoga class on the ship, did a 2 mile run, a 3 mile run and finished off the week with a 45 minute cross training session and a 5.5 mile run when I returned home. To be honest, I was in vacation mode so it was a little more difficult to get motivated. Also, there was a little issue with some sea sickness. The rocking ship didn't bother me too much until I started trying to run. When I was running and the ship was rocking, it got me feeling a little queasy. Hence why a 4 mile run turned into a 3 mile run and another 4 mile run turned into a 2 mile run. But, I did my best which is what this whole process is about for me.
Now that I am starting week seven and officially at the half way point I really need to get going. I am back in NYC now, tying up a few loose ends before I head back to Fargo to work at a performing arts school for the summer. So, I really have nothing but time this week to train and get my apartment packed up, etc. You'd think I'd have no problem staying motivated...and you would be wrong. For some reason, being busy seems to be when I really thrive. Having all day to get my to do list accomplished makes me move much slower than when I have 3 hours to do it. So, it is currently almost 3 pm and I haven't yet done my workout. Today is a pilates work out to serve as my "stretch and strengthen" day after the long run yesterday. After I finish this post, I WILL do it and after I'm done I'll post to prove it. See how I'm talking myself into it here? I guess whatever you need to do to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment