First off, I'm happy to report I stuck to my week one training schedule. I did my long run Friday, did pilates (my version of "stretch and strengthen") Saturday and used Sunday as a rest day.
I'm using the Hal Higdon Half Marathon Training Schedule by the way. I checked out several, but this one was recommended to me by two friends who have completed the half marathon before and survived, so it must be effective. I'm currently on week 3 of the program.
I'm a little up in the air on this week's training schedule. I've been doing my long runs on Friday lately and the schedule suggests having an easy day before that in order to conserve energy for the long run which throws the week off. I'll likely change my long run day to a weekend day in the next few weeks, but for now Friday has worked best.
So far this week's training schedule is as follows-
Monday- 3.5 mile run (done!)
Tuesday- weight/ strength training
Wed- 2 or 3 mile run
Thursday- Yoga
Friday- 5 miles
Saturday- Stretch and Strengthen (pilates perhaps?)
Sunday- Rest
I may change this slightly. I'm trying to make sure to get in yoga on Thursday. My muscles are really tight in general, so I think some yoga would be beneficial. I've been trying to spend extra time stretching after every run, but it's not even close to the benefits yoga will provide for me. But, I also want to make sure to get in the miles I'm supposed to run this week so I think an easier 2 or 3 mile run on Wednesday will be good.
I guess the first few weeks of training will be figuring out what works best for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment